Written by Steven Hurley. Posted in Latest News

Published on May 02, 2017 with No Comments

Old Trinity 6.14-50 defeated by SKOBS 11.23-89
The Seniors travelled out to T.H. King Oval on Saturday to take on the ladder leading SKOBS. Much has been written on their aggressive recruitment during the off-season. This was a chance for our boys to come up against a team who ran over the top of us in the same fixture last year and who we had the better of in the return fixture at home.
The bright autumn sunshine was more suited to a pleasant stroll around the park than the bruising, physical pressure filled game it was in the first term. Not so much a case of feeling each other out, both teams threw themselves into the contest with intensity and abandon that left you wondering how they could sustain it for 4 quarters.
Harry Thompson started the game brightly, taking on much the bigger bodies of the SKOBS ruck stocks and holding his own, ably supported by Henry Winter. Alex Hasiotis was a man possessed, throwing himself into contest after contest, making his opponent earn every touch. Jack Osborn was good up front and gave the team a target inside 50. While we kicked with the aid of a breeze, the swirly conditions made scoring difficult, we could only manage 6 behinds. After 10 minutes of domination without hurting them on the scoreboard SKOBS steadied and went into the quarter break 0.6-6 v SKOBS 2.4-16.
The second quarter saw several of our main players struggle to assert their normal presence over the game. But it was by far SKOBS relentless physical pressure that caused the Ts the most concern. Quick, skillful and strong with numbers round the ball, we couldn’t create space or string together possessions. Again, our first half of footy let us down and we could only manage 2 points for the quarter while we let them in for 3 goal 10 behinds. If not for their inaccuracy things could have been a lot worse.
Half time: Old Trinity 0.8-8 v SKOBS 5.14-44
The start of the second half was a dour struggle for the first 8 minutes and when the Ts finally broke through for their first goal of the match, it released the shackles. Passes that has gone wide for a 70 minutes started to find their mark. Hunt, Tinney, Iezzi and Scott started to find the footy and their teammates and the Polidoros got busy up front. Young was good down back against a wayward Schultz who had trouble finding his accuracy all day. Stewart and Pohl were steady as ever and in 20 minutes the complexion of the game had completely Changes with the Ts piling on 5 goals 3 behinds while conceding 1.3., SKOBS look shaky and all look set for a riveting final quarter.
3 quarter time: Old Trinity 5.11-41 v SKOBS 6.17-53
But make no mistake, this SKOBS outfit is not only physical, they’re mentally strong too. Kicking the next 3 goals soon after the restart all but extinguished the Ts challenge and the finished stronger than us kicking 5 goals 6 to our 1.3 to run out worthy 39 point winners.
Old Trinity 6.14-50 defeated by SKOBS 11.23-89
Next week is the Grand Final rematch against Xavs at their home ground. It should be a cracker, so make sure you get down and show the boys your support.
Development Squad
Old Trinity 11.9-75 defeated by SKOBS 16.8-104
We headed down to T H King oval this week to take on St
Kevins, we knew it was going to be a tough game and biggest challenge of the
season so far, and it was.
Through the first half we were able to move the ball the way
we wanted to, quickly with lots of run and overlap, and with Yeoman finding
plenty of the ball and giving us great use away from the stoppages we were able
to go goal for goal with St Kevins. Once again Sam Joyce up forward was very lively
for us and had some great aerial assistance with Ted Mitchell taking some great
marks and giving us good contests around the forward line.
Coming out from Half time being only a goal down we knew it
was game on and were really keen to start the second half after the way we
finished the first. It didn’t quite go to plan, we were slow out of the blocks
and St Kevins took full advantage of this putting our backline under siege,
Reggie Cooper, Kris Spassopolous, and Chris Riggs all battled hard with St
Kevins forwards but with the ball coming in so often it was tough for them to
keep repelling the ball, and with Andrew Coughlin doing everything he could to
help the other backs out and giving us some great run with that.
We battled hard in last quarter trying to peg back the gap
and did on a couple of occasions but unfortunately at each occasion St Kevins
were able get the goals back, we just kept falling into the press the were
applying to often which didn’t allow us to get the ball out of our defence
often enough to really hurt them on the scoreboard.
We weren’t at our best today, but we are not far off it, it
was a great hit out for us and we know we still have some work to be done but
can take a lot of positives out of the game. Good effort boys.
A massive thank you to Charlie Beasley for being our runner,
Tom Pohl for being our water boy, Tom Hore-Lacy for running the boundary,
George for being our goal umpire, and Jack Dwyer for helping out with rotations
and looking after the coaching board. Thanks for all your help gents.
Old Trinity 19.10-124 defeated Old Carey 10.5-65
The Thirds were at home against Old Carey, confident of collecting our first win for the year and kick starting our season.
We started slowly in the first quarter and Carey tried to make the most of this however their persistence in having all their players press up the ground only allowed for us to score easily from fast breaks using our small mobile forwards in Cowley and Mason along with the height of Holloway and run of Satur to our advantage. We lead by 3 goals at the first break, 5-5 to 2-2.
Both sides ran freely in the second quarter as the game started to open up with Carey clearing out their forward line and matching our 4 goal effort leaving our lead at 20 points at the main break.
The third quarter proved to be the premiership quarter as our on ballers took control of some dominant ruck work from Smith. We ran and linked up all over the ground with Mason, Cowley and Satur being the beneficiaries whilst Holloway took some strong grabs up forward. Our lead was extended out to 47 points, 14-9 to 7.4.
The boys continued with their strong running in the last to put through another 5 goals with the only disappointing factor allowing Carey to sneak a couple of cheap goals towards the end of the quarter. It was still pleasing to put on a score and run out 59 point winners, 19-10-124 to 10.5.65.
Cowley took advantage of some freedom up forward kicking 7 and was supported by Mason and Satur with 3 and Holloway 2.
Better players included Mason, satur, Cowley, Smith, Henry Moore and Chadwick.
Go T’s
Old Trinity 26.196.-175 defeated Canterbury FC 0.0-0
This weekend saw the girls play their first home game for the season and their final game before grading against Canterbury. In perfect conditions for football, the girls hit the ground running kicking nine goals in the first quarter and holding Canterbury scoreless. Dominating the midfield clearances through strong efforts from Julia, Claire and Eve, the girls managed to get the ball forward to put another seven goals on the board in the second quarter. The second half saw the girls continue to apply pressure all over the ground in our most consistent performance to date, running out winners 26.19.175 to Canterbury 0.0.0. Georgia was dominant up forward kicking ten goals for the game, Laura and Liza were solid down back and the midfield efforts from Vanessa and Imogen gave us plenty of opportunity to score. It was a fantastic team performance with contributions from all 24 players, with nine different goal kickers on the day. Thank you to everyone who came down to watch the girls in their first home game and we look forward to your continued support in the coming weeks.
Under 19s
Old Trinity 12.11-83 defeated by Ormond 17.7-109
The Under 19’s got off to a flying start against Ormond in their first home game of 2017. The T’s heeded Tommy’s call to tackle relentlessly and punished the opponent around the contest. The boys not only played physical but also with skill as they read the play well and accurately delivered the ball to the forwards. Max Curtis nailed two goals including a beauty from the left pocket and Charles Curran proved to be an effective utility player across the ground. Ormond managed to stay in the game with a couple of goals against the run of play towards the end of the quarter and Old Trinity went in to the first change with a three-goal lead.
Ormond proved they were up to the challenge in the second term as they edged their way back into the contest. The T’s held strong in all three areas of the ground. Adgemis and Simondson were marking well and converting in front of goal whilst Mulcahy and Stella stood tall in the backline against Ormond’s opportunistic forwards. At the main break, Old Trinity held on to a seven point lead.
The third term was a nail biter as Ormond took the lead for the first time in the game. Tom Lasorko provided effective run through the midfield, Luke Burgess was ferocious at the contest and Noah Campbell’s first goal of the season seemed to lift the team before three quarter time. At the last break, the boys had their work cut out for them with mounting injuries and a five-point deficit.
Ormond had the fresher legs in the final quarter and made the most of it by outrunning Trinity around the ground. To the boys’ credit they did not give in and continued to create chances, but unfortunately, they could not capitalise in front of goal. Ormond prevailed in what felt like a missed opportunity for the T’s, however there were positives to take away from the game as the boys went toe to toe with last year’s grand finalists for close to for quarters of tough and fast paced football.
Final score – Old Trinity 12.11.83 defeated by Ormond 17.7.109
Goal kickers – Adgemis 3, Curtis 2, Simondson 2, Myles Scott, Robertson, Cook, Contos, Campbell
Best – Simondson, Contos, Adgemis, Sharman, Curran, Curtis

No Comments

There are currently no comments on MATCH REPORTS ROUND 3:. Perhaps you would like to add one of your own?

Leave a Comment