The 1965 Annual General Meeting appointed John Weatherson and Jim Bellair to be the Club’s first life members. Jim had been a great servant of the Club, including acting as Treasurer from 1958-1963. Roy Smead was President, Graham Humphreys was again captain coach, and Don Elmer joined him as coach and captain of the newly formed Reserves team. All this at a new ground – Leigh Park in Balwyn Road, North Balwyn. After having endured spartan facilities since its formation, the Club was blessed with a set of brand new rooms (including bountiful showers which would become famous in their own right) and a ground which felt like home. Leigh Park had some limitations (e.g. a large tree inside the boundary line, and no perimeter fence), but it was home!
The optimism that surrounded the start of the year was not reflected on the field. The Firsts could only manage three wins and fifteen losses for the season, finishing second last, and in relegation territory. The Reserves, in their first year, could only manage four wins, finishing ninth out of ten teams.
Thankfully relegation was avoided when the VAFA announced that there would be no F Section in 1966.
Awards for 1965
Firsts Best and Fairest: Jamie Cox
Firsts Runner-up: Tom Ingpen
J.E. Cousens Trophy for the Most Courageous & Consistent: John Dodd
Top Goalkicker: Jamie Cox (55)
Best First Year Player: Peter Vandersluys
Most Improved: Chris Hense
Most Consistent Reserves Player: Bob Shilton
Best Clubman: Warwick Smead